Click to see full answer
Moreover, how much does it cost to program a Volkswagen key?
We tell the customer they will need to show proof they own the vehicle. Then they will need to have the car towed to the dealer. Once the key comes in, we will have to program the new key to the car. The cost of a new Volkswagen key, remote, and programming is about $300.
Secondly, how do you program a VW transponder key? Programming the key of a Volkswagen can be done in just seconds from your driver’s seat.
- Enter your car with your key and close all of the car doors behind you.
- Insert your key into the ignition and turn the ignition on.
- Press the “Unlock” button on the remote portion of the key and wait six seconds.
Beside this, can I program a car key myself?
You can often program your car key fob yourself, but you will need the information on how to do so, as well as a new fob (both of which should be available online). Locksmiths and the dealership can take care of the purchasing and programming if time is a factor.
How much does it cost to reprogram a key for a car?
The cost of car key programming can vary depending on the year make and model of your vehicle and whether you take it to the dealership or your local automotive locksmith. Car key programming ranges at the low end of $50 to as high as $500.
The dealer will order a new key using your vehicle identification number (VIN), which takes about two to three days to arrive from Volkswagen. After that, the dealer will cut the key and manually program your car’s computer to accept the replacement.
Our favorite spot for car key copies is, of course, your local locksmith. But standard car keys can now be cut anywhere from a Walmart to a hardware store. There is also the car dealer but that is likely the most expensive option.
- Enter your vehicle with the key you want to program and insert the key into the ignition.
- Turn the key to the “On” position and leave it there for 10 minutes and 30 seconds.
- Replace the batteries inside the key fobs.
- Get Inside the Car.
- Turn on the Ignition.
- Press the Lock Button on Remote.
- Listen for a Lock Sound.
- Programming Additional Remotes.
- Turn Off the Ignition.
- Step out from your car and test the result.
- Remove the incorrect Volkswagen key from the car engine.
- Click the “Unlock” button on your VW smart key fob.
- Insert your original, synced smart key into the car ignition and start the engine.
- Turn off the engine and remove the key from the ignition.