Click to see full answer
Furthermore, what happens when your transfer case goes bad?
If the seals leak, fluid escapes and is no longer able to properly lubricate the interior components of the transfer case. Eventually the parts inside will wear out and overheat. If this happens, the transfer case will be rendered useless and the four-wheel drive operation will not work.
Also Know, can you still drive with a bad transfer case? Driving your car with a bad transfer case is a bad idea. If you continue to drive with a transfer case that has a serious mechanical problem, you could destroy it beyond the point of repair, and possibly damage your transmission, driveshafts and axles in the process.
Additionally, how much does it cost to replace a transfer case on a Silverado?
The average cost for a Chevrolet Silverado 1500 transfer case shift motor replacement is between $501 and $769. Labor costs are estimated between $58 and $74 while parts are priced between $443 and $695. Estimate does not include taxes and fees.
How do you rebuild a Chevy transfer case?
This simple guide will show you how.
- Step 1 – Purchase Transfer Case Rebuild Kit.
- Step 2 – Raise and Secure the Vehicle.
- Step 3 – Remove Skip Plate.
- Step 4 – Drain Transfer Case Fluid.
- Step 5 – Removing the Transfer Case.
- Step 6 – Open Transfer Case.
- Step 7 – Remove Parts to Be Replaced.
- Step 8 – Install New Parts.
This could be a broken gear, debris from driving, or anything else. If you have a grinding sound or clanking sound when the module is working, then you need to get it checked out right away, so it won’t break completely on you.
- You’re noticing that the gears in your transmission aren’t shifting smoothly.
- You’re finding that your vehicle won’t stay in four-wheel drive.
- You’re seeing fluid leak under your car in the area of your transfer case.
- Secure the vehicle on a level surface.
- Locate the oil fill plug on the transfer case.
- Remove the top oil fill plug.
- Using a flashlight, check for oil at the fill plug hole.
- With the top oil fill plug still out, remove the bottom oil drain plug to drain the oil into an oil drain pan.